Learn about one of the most effective coping methods to reduce situational stress.
How to Manage Time Efficiently
The daily hassles of life can become overwhelming if not managed and scheduled with intention. There will never be a time where you can control every hour of your day. Surprises, crises, and tragedies will occur. When you have strong time management skills and the little things are controlled, you have the energy to address life’s bigger situations.There are 3 steps you must go through to start having effective time management.
1. Know Where Your Time Goes
This step doesn’t take much effort or time, it does take commitment and consistency. It is a must, non-negotiable step that will be the basis for the other steps and how you are going to reduce your situational stress. Using a pen and paper method, the calendar program on your phone, or another tool, track the following information for a minimum of 3 days. Ideally, 5-7 days works best as it allows you to see trends in your schedule and behaviors.
- Value of Activity (low, medium, high)
2. Answer These Questions
- What trends do you see?
- What percentage of time did you spend on low value activities? Medium? High?
- How much time did you spend at work? With family? Having fun? Watching TV?
- What were some of the time bandits- those things that derailed you and took time?
- What have you learned about the way you spend your time?
- What are you willing to change to have effective time management?
3. Tips for Continued Success
- You can take this activity further by dividing your calendar into work and home. Make a difference in both areas of your life.
- Track your time in 10 minute intervals for the greatest impact.
- Add up the time spent in repeated activities to see how much of your day/week is spent on them. Now ask and answer, “Is this worth it?”
Go From BS Excuses to "Holy Sh*t!" Moments
Get connected with us by completing the form below.